Charleston Hotel near Local Museums & Art Galleries
Charleston boasts a vibrant cultural scene, with museums housing historical artifacts and famous artwork as well as local galleries offering the finest art in every media. The city also hosts a variety of annual events and festivals that are not to be missed, including the Lowcountry Oyster Festival and Taste of Charleston. So whether you are a history buff interested in visiting every local museum and historic site, or you are in search of the perfect piece to add to your art collection, you’ll find what you’re looking for within a few minutes of the Battery Carriage House Inn.
A Few Local Museums:
Nathaniel Russell House (0.3 mile) – The townhouse of Charleston merchant Nathaniel Russell features elaborate ornamentation and a free-flying staircase amid spacious gardens.
The Confederate Museum (0.8 mile) – Take a step back in time at the Confederate Museum, which contains flags, uniforms, swords, and other Confederate memorabilia.
The Charleston Museum (1.4 miles) – This museum showcases the cultural and natural history of South Carolina’s coastal region, with fossils, Civil War artifacts, historic sites, and a hands-on children’s exhibit.
Children's Museum of the Lowcountry (1.6 miles) - Experience an interactive learning environment where children can explore a shrimp boat, shop in the Charleston Market, discover castle life, splash in Water Wise, and more.
Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum (1.9 miles) - The Karpeles Manuscript Museum houses the largest private collection of historically significant manuscripts in the world, with manuscripts rotating between the seven locations.
Art Galleries near Our Hotel:
Charleston City Hall Gallery (0.5 mile) – The gallery contains portraits of many important leaders, including one of George Washington by John Trumbull.
Ella Walton Richardson Fine Art (0.5 mile) – Enjoy the exhibits containing the works of American, Russian, Asian, and European artists, with paintings, bronze sculptures, and jewelry.
Mary Martin Gallery (0.5 mile) – This gallery features fine art, including original oils and acrylics, wood, bronze, and glass sculpture, and fine art jewelry from national, international, and local artists.
Spencer Art Galleries (0.5 mile) – Galleries feature contemporary fine paintings, prints, sculptures, photographs and marquetry by many artists in a range of styles.
Edward Dare Gallery (0.6 mile) – Featuring a variety of original works by established artists, this gallery offers a collection of paintings, jewelry, woodworks, photography, glass, and sculpture.
Corrigan Gallery (0.6 mile) – Find exhibits with both representational and abstract art, including works in progress.
Courtyard Art Gallery (0.7 mile) – An established co-op of 15 award-winning artists, this gallery has a variety of fine art originals and prints, handcrafted jewelry, and pottery.
Charleston Crafts (0.8 mile) – Visit this juried cooperative gallery featuring lowcountry and statewide artists producing works in a variety of media.
City Gallery at Waterfront Park (0.8 mile) – This gallery exhibits the finest contemporary art from local, regional, national, and international artists.
Anglin Smith Fine Art (0.8 mile) – Take in painting, sculptures, and photographs from local and regional artists.
Chuma Gullah Gallery (0.9 mile) – Check out unique Gullah art by Jonathan Green and John Jones, including quilts, dolls, books, and crafts.
North Charleston City Gallery (10.4 miles) – Monthly shows feature a wide range of fine arts, crafts, and photography from local and regional talent.
Annual Festivals & Events:
- January – Charleston Marathon, Lowcountry Oyster Festival
- February – Southeastern Wildlife Exposition
- March – Festival of Houses & Gardens (thru April), Charleston Antiques Show, Charleston Fashion Week, BB&T Charleston Wine Food Festival, Volvo Car Open (thru April)
- April – Flowertown Festival, Lowcountry Blues Bash, Lowcountry Cajun Festival, Charleston Honey & Bee Expo, Charleston Race Week, Charleston Outdoor Fest, North Charleston Arts Fest (thru May)
- May – Piccolo Spoleto Festival (thru June), Charleston Spring Greek Festival, Dragon Boat Charleston Festival, Lowcountry Shrimp Festival & Blessing of the Fleet, Charleston Beer Garden
- June – The Sweetgrass Cultural Arts Festival
- September – Taste of Charleston, MOJA Arts Festival (thru Oct)
- October – Fall Tours of Homes and Gardens, Latin American Festival, Goose Creek Fall Festival, Colour of Music Festival, Coastal Carolina Fair (thru Nov)
- November – Charleston International Film Festival, Smoke on the Harbor BBQ Throwdown, Annual Holiday Festival of Lights (thru Jan), Holiday Market at Middleton Place
- December – Christmas 1860, Annual Charleston Rose Ball